Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can

"It's the answer that lead those who've been told for so long by so many to be cynical and fearful and doubtful about what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day . . ."

Barack Obama
Senator from Illinois
President Elect
Acceptance Speech, Grant Park, Chicago, IL. Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2008




Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2008

Ideally journalism is best practiced from close distance, yet removed of influence. As an American citizen. As a witness to the last eight years. I felt the influence of my actions as I cast my ballot one week ago. It was a powerful action, weighted with all the selfless courage and sacrifice given by others before me to preserve this precious right. It was not like past elections. Something was vastly different. On Tuesday, when the numbers returned, when Obama spoke, my spirits would not, remain distant. I made photographs, but I also hugged friends and strangers as we all sang out.

The protection of democracy and freedom should be journalism's highest aim. In my lifetime, I've never experienced a better example of a healthy, functioning democratic system than this election. The system has never been perfect, but this was a masterful revision.

But seriously, what the hell am I talking about? The liberal media has always loved an election; ref., http://stuffjournalistslike.com/

Here's what Mr. Lange and I found round the way on Tuesday.





The day after we pieced together a slideshow with the work of two other photographers, Eric Kaufman and Jenny Warburg.

D.F.'s election journey along I-85

No comments: